Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lazy Mom Lasagna

I have a feeling that once this blog really gets rolling people are going to think I'm a bit schizophrenic. Case in point, tonight's post vs. an upcoming post on how to make Orange Confit for a Burnt Brown Sugar & Orange Confit Pork Loin.

But even though I consider myself a foodie & love to make an elaborate meal, I am also a mom & wife with a hectic schedule. That means a bit of easy. But I promise, easy or elaborate, it will always be yummy.

So, here's the basic recipe, but read on to see how you can make it your own.

Lazy Mom Lasagna
  • 2 pkgs of fresh Ravioli (aprox 10 oz each)
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (24-26 oz)
  • 1 bag of frozen spinach, thawed (10-12 oz)
  • 2 cups (or more) shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 9x13 casserole pan, spread a 1/3 of the sauce to make an even layer. Place one layer of slightly overlapping ravioli over the sauce. Make sure the layer fully covers the sauce. Place spinach in a strainer & press on it to remove as much water as possible. Spread spinach over the ravioli. Spread another 1/3 of the sauce over the spinach. Cover this layer with 1 cup of cheese. Lay down another even layer of ravioli, then the final 1/3 of sauce & final cup of cheese. Cover & bake for 30 minutes. Uncover & continue baking until cheese is melted & bubbly, aprox 10 minutes. Let rest about 5-10 minutes before serving.

Ok, so my notes & variations:

I use an 8x8 pan and a little less of each ingredient, just due to my small family. For the ravioli, I use TJs (I know, you're shocked), but any grocery store has a section of fresh ravioli (meaning, not hard & dry, and in a refrigerated section). As far as kinds, you need to use at least on layer of cheese ravioli (TJs has a 4 cheese variety). This is is your "ricotta layer" in a normal lasagna. But for the other layer, I change it up. Tonight I used a Chicken Sausage Ravioli, but I have used a mushroom one also, or even just all cheese. A great vegetarian version is to use all cheese (sorry Vegans!), and add Ives Ground Beef Substitute in the "in between" layer. I have done this before & my meat eaters had no idea.

As for the spinach, I know not everyone (or their kids) is a fan. Get whatever veggie you like in there! Lasagna is a great way to get veggies in a sneaky way. Zucchini or broccoli would be great, but use your imagination. You can also get veggies in with your sauce choice. I never seem to buy the same one & I don't really have a preference. Tonight I used the leftover pizza sauce from pizza night. I also added some leftover pesto sauce under the final layer of cheese tonight. It was delish!

For the cheese, I use the Quattro Formagio shredded blend from TJs. Any Italian cheese blend would work, or even just shredded mozzarella.

Just get creative! This is such an easy & yummy meal, you can't screw it up! I served it tonight with a green salad & some garlic bread (put it in when you take out the lasagna & it is ready when the lasagna is!).

Bottom Line
Prep Time: 5 minutes

Make ahead: You can assemble as early as the morning of, but it might take a bit more cooking time since it will be chilled.

Cooking time: 40 mins

Servings: At least 6

No comments:

Post a Comment