Sunday, January 10, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not (Tasty Sauteed Beet Greens)

Last week I picked up some fresh beets at the Farmers Market. For those of you that don't think you like beets, you have to try (just one bite, like I tell the little one) oven roasting fresh beets. They are completely different than those canned things you skip at the salad bar. They are sweet & earthy & delicious. I roasted mine with other veggies (mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, carrots & garlic), in a little olive oil, some red wine & salt & pepper. They take about an hour. I chilled them & added them to some field green mix & goat cheese for a yummy salad on pizza night.

I had this bunch of beet tops left that I didn't feel right tossing, so I but them back in the fridge & decided to tackle them later. Friday I took them out & sauteed them based on a few recipes that I saw online. They were AMAZING! Even John loved them, and he hates veggies! This week I got lucky when I picked up another bunch of beets & someone had foolishly asked the vendor to dispose of their beet tops. He threw then in my bag for free, so now I have even more to enjoy. They cook down quite a bit (think spinach), so you need way more than you would think to get a decent portion.

Sauteed Beet Greens
1 bunch (from aprox 4-5 large beets) of Beet Tops, washed, trimmed & dried
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cloves of minced Garlic
Dash of salt (or to taste)
Dash of Pepper (or to taste)
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp of Brown Sugar

Heat oil & garlic in a pan over med-high heat. Add greens, salt/pepper & vinegar. Saute until wilted, but still retaining some bite (about 5 minutes). Add sugar & stir. Remove from heat & serve while warm.


Bottom Line
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Make ahead: none, needs to be cooked right before serving
Cooking time: 5-10 mins
Servings: 3-4 if using one bunch of beets

1 comment:

  1. ha! I knew it was wrong to throw those away! recipe sounds great. can't wait to get my hands on some beet greens!

    ReplyDelete